Worried about overindulging on New Year’s Eve? It happens to the best of us. A refreshing natural hangover cure promises to make this New Year’s Day a little more bearable.
Coconut water, often called “the fluid of life” and “nature’s energy drink,” contains a whole slew of nutrients and electrolytes our bodies need, including vitamin C, potassium, magnesium, phosphorous, sodium, and calcium. A low-cal answer to sugar-laden sports drinks, coconut water has become increasingly popular in fitness circles. Several Hollywood stars are also singing its praises, including Madonna and Demi Moore, both of whom invested in Vita Coco (http://vitacoco.com/), a leading pioneer in the emerging coconut water market. As an excellent rehydrator, coconut water is gaining a reputation as a natural hangover cure. Alcohol is a diuretic which flushes the body of essential vitamins and nutrients and leads to dehydration and that’s exactly where coconut water steps in. Packed with more electrolytes than water or sports drinks, coconut water replenishes what alcohol takes away.
According to Dana James of FoodCoach (www.foodcoachnyc.com), “[c]oconut water’s high potassium helps accelerate hydration and the liquid is non-acidic, so it won’t upset your stomach.” To address your post-New Year’s Eve woes naturally this year, try this coconut water hangover cure smoothie recipe recommended by James:
- Eight ounces coconut water. James recommends using Vita Coco or another fresh coconut water.
- Half a cup frozen strawberries (rich in vitamin C, fiber, manganese and antioxidants). Blueberries may be substituted.
- A shot of wheatgrass or 1 teaspoon of green powder (aids in digestion and detoxification).
- A heaping spoonful of vegan protein powder (amino acids aid detoxification).
- A splash of aloe vera juice.
- A dash of cinnamon to sweeten (protects the liver against damage from alcohol).
- One teaspoon of organic honey to sweeten, depending on taste preferences.
Mix ingredients in a blender for sixty to ninety seconds. Pour into glass and serve.
Finally, a natural hangover cure to go nuts over!