By Jolene Hart
Are you a natural skin care guru? Check out the answers to our Skin Savvy Quiz right here:
1. Which plant-based oil most closely resembles the skin’s natural sebum?
Jojoba oil, from the seeds of the jojoba tree, is the plant-based oil that most closely resembles the oil produced naturally by your skin.
2. Keeping the skin’s pH in balance is maintains its natural protective barrier against infections and irritation. Should the skin’s pH be acidic, neutral, or alkaline?
The skin’s pH should be slightly acidic: around 5.5 on the pH scale. Choose skin care products that do not strip the skin of oils and disrupt natural pH.
3. Which Himalayan superfood beauty ingredient is a potent source of skin-strengthening omega 7 fatty acids? Hint: it’s bright orange!
Sea buckthorn berries are high in omega 7 fatty acids. Sea Buckthorn seed oil and extract are growing in popularity as anti-aging beauty ingredients.
4. Which beauty ingredient, a form of vitamin A, is considered to be the current gold standard in anti-aging?
Dermatologists consider retinol to be today’s top anti-aging ingredient, and you’ll find it in many supercharged anti-aging products.
5. The active ingredient in sunless tanner, DHA, is often made from which dark-colored vegetable?
DHA, the active ingredient in self-tanners, is often derived from beets. It’s also commonly made from sugar cane. DHA interacts with the keratin proteins on the skin’s surface to product brown pigmentation.
6. Which drying ingredient should you avoid in your foaming soap and shampoo?
You should avoid sulfates, like sodium lauryl sulfate and sodium laureth sulfate, in your soaps and shampoos. These ingredients provide sudsing action, but have no real beauty benefit
Got all six answers correct? That’s some impressive natural beauty knowledge!