REBOUNDING FOR LYMPHATIC HEALTH
As the lymphatic system lacks a pump to move the fluid, it relies on muscle contraction and respiration. Therefore, exercise plays a crucial role in maintaining lymphatic health. Rebounding, otherwise known as jumping on a trampoline, is the perfect exercise for enhancing the lymph system.
"Jumping on a trampoline brings oxygen and nutrients to the cells and facilitates the removal of waste products", says Angela Battaglia, M.Ed., a Certified Fitness Trainer and Supervisor of the Fitness and Recreation Department at The Arizona Biltmore Resort & Spa in Phoenix, Arizona. "By alternating weightlessness with double gravity, lymph ducts expand, increasing lymph flow and flushing out toxins."
Battaglia recommends the trampoline for just about everyone. "In addition to activating the lymphatic and immune systems, rebounding increases circulation, enhances coordination, fights fatigue, improves muscle tone and digestion, and promotes better sleep", she says.
Trampolines are available at most sporting goods stores as well as numerous specialty outfits and through online retailers such as Amazon.com. "Choose the size that suits your space and your lifestyle", says Battaglia. "If you have ample outdoor space, you might opt for a larger model; city dwellers in small apartments might chose smaller ones. Try to test out a few different sizes, and pick the one that suits your lifestyle best."
Battaglia offers the following tips for embarking on a program of rebounding:
1. Start slow and build up to 20 minutes daily. Even five to ten minutes of rebounding will help activate the immune system.
2. Don't bounce too high; maintain control. You don't want to fall off your rebounder and sustain an injury.
3. Unlike sports activities such as running or biking, rebounding doesn't require stretching or other special preparations. "It's easy on the joints and back, burns more calories than running, and can be adjusted to your fitness level", says Battaglia.
4. Make sure to rehydrate; after rebounding, you'll need extra liquids to help flush the toxins from the body.
5. Finally, Battaglia cautions, wait at least an hour after consuming a big meal before rebounding.
Spas Offering Lymphatic Therapies
Manual Lymphatic Drainage
Salish Lodge & Spa,Seattle, WA
(800) 272-5474, www.salishlodge.com
Botanical Balancing Facial
Four Seasons New York, New York, NY
(212) 758-5700, www.fourseasons.com
Signature Lymphatic Treatment
Kinara Spa, Los Angeles, CA
(310) 657-9188, www.kinaraspa.com
Cornelia Day Resort, New York, NY
(212) 871-3050, www.cornelia.com
Energetic Lymphatic Drainage
Spa Orange, Hotel Best Western Europa, Montreal, Canada
(866) 582-1772, www.europahotelmtl.com
Lymphatic Drainage Massage
COMO Shambhala Retreat Parrot Ca, Turks & Caicos
(877) 754-0726, www.parrotcay.como.bz
Fairmont Mayakoba, Riviera Maya, Mexico
(800) 540-6088, www.fairmont.com/mayakoba
The Mayflower Inn & Spa, Washington, CT
(860) 868-9466, www.mayflowerinn.com