Magic Feel Better Soup
Recipe courtesy of Sumptuous Spoonfuls
Ingredients1 large potato, cut into hunks (about 2 cups)
1/2 cup of chopped carrots
4 cloves of garlic
1 bay leaf
2 cups of chicken (or vegetable) broth
3/4 cup chopped onion
3 cups of fresh swiss chard or spinach, washed and chopped
A handful of fresh herbs: I used basil, thyme, rosemary, & parsley
1/2 cup plain yogurt or fat free half and half
Sriracha or other hot sauce, to taste (to open up the sinuses)
Freshly grated Asiago or Parmesan cheese and fresh parsley (optional)
1) Put the potato, carrots, garlic, bay leaf, onion and broth into a saucepan and bring to a boil.
2) Reduce heat to simmer (medium low) and cook for about 20 – 30 minutes or until the potato is fall-apart tender and the other vegies are soft.
3) Fish out the bay leaf and stir in the chard. Cover the pot and cook for just a couple minutes or until the chard is cooked. Add the herbs.
4) Pour the soup into a blender (or use an immersion blender), add the yogurt or half and half and blend until smooth. Add more broth if you want a thinner soup. I like my soup pretty thick.
5) Serve hot, topped with Sriracha and shredded cheese and garnish with fresh parsley. That red swirl you see there … that’s the Sriracha.