Stress Tips From the Experts
"Breathing strongly influences mind, body, and moods," says Andrew Weil, M.D, editorial director of DrWeil.com. "By simply putting your attention on your breathing, without even doing anything to change it, you move in the direction of relaxing. Here's my single most effective relaxation technique, a natural tranquilizer."
1. Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound; keep the tip of your tongue against the roof of your mouth throughout the exercise.
2. Close your mouth and inhale quietly through your nose to a mental count of 4.
3. Hold your breath for a count of 7.
4. Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound to a count of 8.
5. Repeat the cycle 4 times and do this at least twice a day.