It is a spicy soup. If you are not a fan of spiciness than omit crushed red pepper or add just a little bit of it. Saffron gives a great taste to the shrimp diablo but it also can be optional. Even if you omit saffron, you will still get a dish, which is rich and full of flavor.
Shrimp Diablo Soup: 4 servings
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
- 1 lb. shrimp (used wild shrimp.)
- 5-6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 5 large tomatoes, or 1 large tomato and 2 cups canned crashed tomatoes
- 1 glass white wine
- 1-2 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 bunch parsley, chopped
- Pinch saffron
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- Baguette bread
- Heat olive oil in a soup pot at medium-low heat. Add garlic, half of parsley, crushed red pepper and cook for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add chopped tomatoes, sugar and cook for 7 minutes, stirring.
- Pour wine. Sprinkle with black pepper, saffron, salt and continue cooking for 30 minutes.
- Add shrimp and another half of the parsley and cook for the last 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately with a baguette. Dip a piece of baguette into this soup and enjoy! Some rose or white wine is the must.
Recipe courtesy of From Garden to Soup Bowl