While eating excessive vitamin C foods might not really cure a cold, vitamin C does have the ability to help with post-exercise soreness and inflammation, helps increase your immune system and also helps your body fight infection.
But when it comes to vitamin C foods, you have dozens of options.
Yes, oranges are rich in this nutrient, but so are a variety of other foods. So before you turn to a supplement, check out these favorites and keep in mind that women need about 75 mg of vitamin C a day and these options take care of that dose in one helping …
- Red and yellow bell peppers have about 150 mg of vitamin C. Try them roasted or raw for maximum impact.
- Kale has about 120 mg in 1 1/2 cups. Maximize your absorption by either eating your kale sale with an oil vinaigrette, or cooking the kale beforehand.
- Strawberries. A small serving of strawberries (about 10-15) has about 100 mg of vitamin C. Double it up by mixing strawberries with one of the other fruits below in a delicious smoothie.
- Kiwi. One kiwi has about 75 mg of vitamin C. Enjoy kiwi as a delicious snack or try it with yogurt, honey and coconut. Delish!
- Pineapple. Not surprising, but pineapple has about 100 mg in 1 1/2 cups. Enjoy pineapple raw, vs. dried which tends to have a lot of preservatives and added sugars.
- Broccoli. We love this cruciferous veg and now we have another reason to love it. One cup of broccoli has about 100 mg of vitamin C- a delicious addition to stir fry, pasta, salad and even soup.
- Brussels sprouts. This awesome veggie has about 100 mg in just 6 Brussels sprouts. Enjoy the roasted and served alongside dinner, or slice them thinly and make a Brussels sprout salad.
- Chili peppers. There’s a reason spicy food is good for you when you feel you’re getting sick. Chili peppers are also rich in vitamin C- in fact one moderately hot pepper has about 75 mg. Just pace yourself!
Try this delicious Brussels sprout salad, made with raw, shaved Brussels and pecorino and walnuts!
- Saving Our Coral Reef One Tube of Sunscreen at a Time. - June 28, 2018
- Healing Tonics: 5 Ingredients You Need to Cure All That Ails You. - May 3, 2018
- Is it Addiction? 4 Surprising Culprits Behind Your Gnawing Sugar Cravings. - April 20, 2018