Cumin powder has powerful weight loss properties. Spices have been used for millennia for health benefits, from turmeric to pepper. Now cumin has its turn in the spotlight for being such an incredible aid to anyone aiming to lose weight and lower cholesterol.
According to new research (brace yourself, we are going to get all scientific on you now), cumin powder may help decrease body fat and improve cholesterol levels as well. In a 3-month trial study, individuals who were consuming 3 grams (about 1 teaspoon) of this spice daily had lost 3 more pounds than those in the non-cumin eating group. In addition, the cumin group individuals decreased their body fat percentage by nearly triple of those in the control. Still not convinced? The spice showed benefits for knocking down LDL cholesterol as well as triglycerides.
How can one spice have so much power? Researchers believe that because this potent spice is rich in phytosterols, which helps limit the absorption of cholesterol in the body. In addition, similar to a few other hot spices, experts believe that cumin increases metabolic rate, allowing for greater weight loss. And for those with cholesterol higher than it should be, this is another incredible health benefit to be derived from this wonder spice.
Ready to get on the spice train? Here are our some of our favorite ways to mix cumin into your diet:
- We love roasted chickpeas. Drain and dry cooked or canned chickpeas. Heat the oven to 350°F, and toss the chickpeas with oil and salt and pepper. Sprinkle with dried cumin and roast for 15-20 minutes until crispy.
- Use it in your DIY taco mix. We like to make this mix ahead of time and add it to everything from tortilla soup to black bean/sweet potato tacos as well as shredded chicken, beef, or guacamole. The mix: Combine 1 tablespoon chili powder, ¼ teaspoon garlic powder, ¼ teaspoon onion powder, ¼ teaspoon dried oregano, ½ teaspoon paprika, 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper.
- Sprinkle hummus with the power form for an added flavor kick.
- Try adding to everything from ground beef patties to grilled chicken sandwiches. We like it mixed in with veggie burgers for an additional flavor profile.
- Saving Our Coral Reef One Tube of Sunscreen at a Time. - June 28, 2018
- Healing Tonics: 5 Ingredients You Need to Cure All That Ails You. - May 3, 2018
- Is it Addiction? 4 Surprising Culprits Behind Your Gnawing Sugar Cravings. - April 20, 2018