Healthy hair is important not only because we feel our best when our hair is cooperative. Our hair is a big indicator of how healthy our diet is. Are you looking for more oomph in your locks? Look no further than your kitchen for hair that shines and screams good health.
We understand that even your favorite shampoo can sometimes leave your hair less than enthusiastic. If you want more shine and softer strands, your refrigerator might just be the best salon. The same way that your skin is nourished from foods you eat, your hair is nourished that way too.
Up the ante for your tresses and check our these delicious foods for happy, healthy hair. Take hints from your daily diet and get ready to say goodbye to dull, boring strands…
- Dark greens – We love the leafy vegetables, and so does your hair. Fruits and veggies are one of the best things you can add into your diet for overall great health. This includes the health of your hair. Leafy green vegetables, think spinach and broccoli, are an excellent source of vitamins and they provide you with iron and calcium.
- Fruits – Fruits that are high in vitamin C and A are super powerful for your hair. They help your body to produce sebum. (Sebum is an oily substance in your hair follicles that acts as a natural conditioner.) Strawberries, oranges, and grapefruits are the best vitamin boosters for healthy hair. Imagine that, eating strawberries for healthy hair. Isn’t it fantastic to find out the foods you already adore are actually helping your tresses advance to the healthiest place they can shine?
- Omega-3 fatty acids – Foods with omega-3 fatty acids are jammed packed powerhouses when it comes to giving your entire body a good glow. Some of our favorites are flaxseeds and walnuts, chock full of Omega-3. To add some serious super shine to your hair, choose fish like salmon, mackerel, sardines, and herring to amp up your omega intake as well.
Omega-3 is also a champion for preventing hair loss.
- Nuts – Your hair will go crazy over nuts. Think of the hearty big nuts, like the Brazil nuts, which are one of the best sources of selenium. These nuts have minerals that keep your scalp and hair healthy. Walnuts, cashews, pecans, and almonds are great for your layers as well. Munch on these for an afternoon snack, and watch your hair go nutty.
- Whole grains – Get a daily dose of zinc and iron with hearty whole grains. Whole wheat bread and fortified cereals are a delicious source of B vitamins, which will promote healthy hair by boosting your red blood cell count.
- Calcium – Calcium is an important mineral for hair growth. Choose something like cashew milk or yogurt. Kick your calcium and vitamin C levels up a notch by mixing fresh cut strawberries into a cup of Greek yogurt. Your hair will glow and the distraction of dull, lifeless hair will not be yours to deal with anymore!