A natural, inexpensive, anti-fungal, antibacterial, antiviral, metabolism-firing, immunity-building miracle worker, apple cider vinegar has been used for centuries for its positive lifestyle effects, and I, for one, couldn’t be more of an advocate.
Natural medicine practitioners and herbalists often recommend apple cider vinegar for everything from a cold to digestive woes. It turns out they aren’t the only ones acknowledging the virtues of this kitchen staple. Here are 5 reasons you should add some vinegar to your healthy day.
- A quick swish of apple cider vinegar has been shown to help remove stains on your teeth from coffee and even wine.
- Some reports show it helps in weight loss. Acetic acid found in apple cider vinegar has been tied to a reduction in abdominal fat as well as reduced triglycerides (which are linked to heart disease).
- Vinegar helps balance our often out-of-whack pH levels, helping make it more alkaline. A higher acid level (low pH) has been connected to lower energy as well as a higher incidence of infection and dieasse.
- You’ll often find vinegar on detox programs as it is thought to help detoxify the liver.
- Apple cider vinegar is great for your lymphatic system and can help clear mucus if you feel a cold coming on.
The other day we tried a DIY cleanser that we were skeptical about. The reason we were skeptical is that it contained apple cider vinegar. While apple cider vinegar has the fantastic beauty benefit of removing dry and dull skin to fade blemishes, AND removes blackheads, its smell can be a little harsh.
But we were pleasantly surprised when the following recipe did a wonder for the clarity of our skin as cleanser to be used on a daily basis. The other ingredients really tamed the vinegar smell. Let us know how it works for you!
(Use a tablespoon for 1-2 weeks worth of use)
- 1 part honey (moisturizing/antioxidant)
- 1 part almond oil (rich in vitamin E and vitamin D)
- 1 part grapeseed oil (moisturizing/emollient)
- 1 part apple cider vinegar (cleansing/astringent)
With her love of health and writing, Melissa has written for such publications as Shape, Natural Solutions, Yoga Journal, Self and Pilates Style, and has created recipes and food-oriented stories for such publications as Delicious Living and Cooking Light.
Latest posts by Melissa, Editorial Director (see all)
- Saving Our Coral Reef One Tube of Sunscreen at a Time. - June 28, 2018
- Healing Tonics: 5 Ingredients You Need to Cure All That Ails You. - May 3, 2018
- Is it Addiction? 4 Surprising Culprits Behind Your Gnawing Sugar Cravings. - April 20, 2018