Eco-Wheels: Five Winning Reasons to Buy a Hybrid Car
Toyota, Honda, and Ford all make hybrid gas-electric cars. Here are five compelling reasons why you should buy one:
1. By using less gasoline, your car will emit fewer substances that contribute to global warming.
2. Hybrid cars emit less carcinogenic fuel additives such as MTBE, which according to the EPA website (epa.gov), is omnipresent in the U.S. water supply. (No one knows if there is a safe level of MTBE for human consumption.)
3. Your fuel-efficient car will save money because you will be buying less gasoline. According to the EPA website, fueleconomy.gov, the Toyota Prius (60 mpg for city, 51 highway mpg) and the Honda Civic Hybrid Compact (49 mpg for city, 51 highway mpg) have the most efficient mileage stats for midsize hybrids .
4. According to a study by automotive research website Edmunds.com, owning the Toyota Prius can save you money. Compared with the similarly sized Toyota Camry LE, over the first five years of ownership, the Camry costs its owner $81 more than a Prius.
5. You will be modeling ecologically responsible behavior that may inspire others to buy hybrids.