Paleo Diet followers and those that want to try the diet on for size, frequently try the 30 day Paleo Challenge to get started. Want to give it a whirl? Here are the guidelines.
What to eat
YES to meat, seafood, vegetables, some fruit, eggs, nuts, and seeds. Beef, pork, chicken, lamb, seafood, tuna, salmon, shrimp. Avocado, asparagus, arugula, spinach, broccoli, celery, sweet potatoes, yams, any type of leafy green, red cabbage, artichoke. Berries, melon, pomegranate. Chicken eggs, ostrich eggs. Almonds, brazil nuts, walnuts.
What NOT to eat
- No to processed foods. Pretty much anything in the middle of the grocery store. Can't recognize it growing or running around in the wild? Don't eat it.
- No to sugar. No sweeteners, no agave nectar, honey or maple syrup.
- No grains. This includes bread, rice, pasta, cereal, oatmeal, corn and all of those gluten-free grains like quinoa and sprouted grains.
- No to legumes. Peanuts, peanut butter, beans, peas, lentils.
- No to dairy.
- No alcohol.
- Fewer sweet fruits and starchy vegetables or white potatoes.
Cook with real fats. If you're cooking, then cook with lard or animal fat. If you don't have that, then cook with coconut oil, olive oil, or butter.