Truth be told; we love eggs at our house. In fact, we go through two dozen a week which is a fair amount of protein.
But there are just some mornings when you don’t have the time or the taste for an egg. Protein though, shouldn’t be skipped.
Studies have demonstrated that the breakfast meal may play the biggest role in the healthfulness of your entire day. When we eat a breakfast that includes protein, carbohydrates and fats we feel satiated for a longer period of time, curbing snacking and enabling us to be active and alert throughout the day.
Here are our favorite protein-rich no-egg breakfasts + 1 that into which we snuck an egg:
Blend the Protein:
* Almond Butter/PB smoothie. We have two favorites here. For the almond butter smoothie blend one banana with 1 cup of frozen strawberries or raspberries, 1 cup of almond milk, 2 tbs. almond butter, 1 handful of greens and a splash of vanilla.
* For a PB version, skip the greens and go for a banana shake. Blend 1 cup milk (or milk substitute) of your choice with 1 banana, a dash of cinnamon and 2 tbs. peanut butter.
- Make overnight oats by mixing ¾ cup plain yogurt with ½ cup uncooked grains. You can use millet, barley, oats, or cooked quinoa. Cover and refrigerate overnight. In the morning stir in your favorite toppings: toasted coconut, cinnamon, fresh or dried fruit, almond butter, chopped nuts or fresh fruit.
- If you like oatmeal and yogurt, why not combine the two. Instead of cooking your oats, blend or stir them with equal parts yogurt to get in some of your much needed probiotics. Stir in 1 tsp organic honey and fresh fruit and enjoy.
- Cottage cheese offers a tremendous amount of protein. Stir ½ cup cottage cheese with a heavy dash of cinnamon. Add chopped nuts or granola.
We found several sources of breakfast bar recipes that utilized protein powder or nut butter to amp up the protein content. Try this breakfast bar recipe from Saved by Grace that includes flaxseeds, bananas and peanut butter. (We also love the simplicity of this recipe, plus that she uses only natural sweetners including honey and dates)
If you’re gluten-free, you’ll enjoy Elana’s Pantry’s Paleo Breakfast Bread. It has no flour whatsoever! Instead you’ll find almond butter, eggs (yes, eggs), and spices.
With her love of health and writing, Melissa has written for such publications as Shape, Natural Solutions, Yoga Journal, Self and Pilates Style, and has created recipes and food-oriented stories for such publications as Delicious Living and Cooking Light.
Latest posts by Melissa, Editorial Director (see all)
- Saving Our Coral Reef One Tube of Sunscreen at a Time. - June 28, 2018
- Healing Tonics: 5 Ingredients You Need to Cure All That Ails You. - May 3, 2018
- Is it Addiction? 4 Surprising Culprits Behind Your Gnawing Sugar Cravings. - April 20, 2018