Overtime, most women go a through period when they lose more hair. While the “normal” is to lose up to 100 strands a day, when you start to see clumps of hair in the shower (and you’re not postpartum), you may want to revisit your hair health.
1. Unfortunately, the #1 cause of hair loss is genetic. Hereditary-pattern baldness can come from either parent (even though many associate it to the mother’s side of the family). If you’re noticing hair loss and you don’t have any of the other issues below, you’ll want to talk to your doctor to see about using Minoxidil or possibly a laser treatment to encourage growth.
2. Back to hormones. If you’re not post-partum, your birth control pill may be to blame. Talk to your doctor about your tress loss, they might be able to offer a different pill option. If you’re past childbearing age, talk to your doctor for an antiandrogen medication.
3. Pay attention to how you care for your hair, and how you manage your stress. Women will often play, pull or tug out hair when overly stressed, which over time can cause thin patches.
4. Systemic Inflammation. Back to the “I” word, which appears to be the culprit of dozens of health issues. Inflammation can cause hair loss as well. Talk to your doctor about ways to reduce your inflammation, including cutting back on inflammatory foods like sugar.
5. Low vitamin D. Another common concern is low vitamin D levels. But did you know low vitamin D can also contribute to strand loss? Talk to your doctor to have your vitamin D (and your iron) levels tested and find out what type of supplement they recommend.
6. In the meantime? Head to the salon. There are dozens of new therapies designed to help maximize hair fullness. Leave-in treatments can thicken hair shafts, and hair fibers can mask bald patches.
By Melissa Williams
With her love of health and writing, Melissa has written for such publications as Shape, Natural Solutions, Yoga Journal, Self and Pilates Style, and has created recipes and food-oriented stories for such publications as Delicious Living and Cooking Light.
Latest posts by Melissa, Editorial Director (see all)
- Saving Our Coral Reef One Tube of Sunscreen at a Time. - June 28, 2018
- Healing Tonics: 5 Ingredients You Need to Cure All That Ails You. - May 3, 2018
- Is it Addiction? 4 Surprising Culprits Behind Your Gnawing Sugar Cravings. - April 20, 2018