It’s never too late to do a deep, non-toxic over haul on your living environment. When we have a clean, tranquil environment we feel more grounded, balanced and relaxed. Allow yourself time to create a pleasurable sanctuary, after all, your home should be your haven, and if it is cluttered, stuffy or unorganized you may feel stressed out or find that your energy is zapped.
Here, we divulge our secrets in our non-toxic cleaning guide:
DIY Home Cleaners
- Baking soda + lemons: Lemons are a natural disinfectant, gets rid of odors and dissolves grease and gunk. Baking soda rocks when it comes to scrubbing power and will make your bathtub, kitchen sink, and toilet bowl pearly white again! TIP: Sprinkle baking soda on any surface in your home that needs some clean love. Use cut side of ½ of a lemon as your scrub (such a bonus!) The only time you need to mix and measure is for your toilet. I suggest Bon Ami powder cleanser.
- Borax – This is the best surface cleaner we’ve found for getting rid of caked on scum, etc. Be sure to test surfaces first. Try sprinkling with borax and then spraying a small amount of white vinegar on afterward. Scrub, rinse.
- Tea tree oil – A natural disinfectant, mix a 1/2 cup tea tree oil with 1/4 cup lavender oil; add water to make 2 cups. Use for cleaning bathroom surfaces, and places where hands frequently touch, i.e. doorknobs, stair rails, etc
- Hydrogen peroxide – A gem for disinfecting wounds, this one is great for cleaning surfaces where the clean really matters. Try mixing 3 cups water, 1/4 cup hydrogen peroxide, and 10 drops lavender or orange oil. I like orange as it provides that really fresh clean smell, while de-germing some heavily germ-ridden areas.
- Thyme: – 2 1/2 cups water, 1 handful thyme (fresh or dried), vinegar, liquid castile soap (squirt). Directions: Boil water, add thyme. Simmer for several hours over medium-low heat, covered. Cool, then strain. Pour the water into a spray bottle, top with white vinegar and squirt of soap. Use as needed
- An old toothbrush. For the nitty-gritty in between spaces, like tile grout.
- Microfiber cleaning cloths. With one of these you can often skip the wood cleaner, helping dust and restore shine to any of your wood products.
3 Hero Products
- Honest Glass & Window Cleaner. Warning: the sparkle and shine may cause extreme happiness! This cleaner cuts through dirt, grease, and grime while leaving a delightfully streak-free shine.
- All-purpose cleaner. We like Mrs. Meyer’s All Purpose Cleaner made with eucalyptus the cleaner cleans and degreases and de-scums everything from the kitchen to the bath.
- For stainless steel appliances and for cleaning countertops and other surfaces, we suggest mixing a dishwashing liquid, like Dr. Bronner‘s Sal Suds All Purpose Cleaner with a bit of water. Be sure to rinse.
For a simple room/bathroom freshner I fill a spray bottle (I use amber glass one) with pure/filtered water. Then I add about 5 drops of lemongrass and 3 drops of tea tree oils. Shake and spray. Your rooms will smell like lemons and tea tree oil kills bacteria.
Additionally, one of our team members just came back from an amazing harvesting trip with Juniper Ridge where they made their own sprays from rhododendron, spruce, vanilla leaf, pine sap and more, just magical!
I highly recommend their products for a real outdoorsy, foresty scent. Otherwise taking away from what I’ve learned on this trip, I would recommend adding anything from the outdoors, pines, barks, leaves…to your existing sprays. Using high proof vodka and/or water depending on how long you want the spray to last. I mix some of the following EOs: Rosemary/Peppermint/Lemon, Lavender/Vanilla, Lavender/Rosemary/Lemon, Tea Tree/Lemon/Eucalyptus, Fir/ Cedarwood/Frankincense/Lemon. And now I add a sprig of pine! – Rachael Portillo
Some Articles Related To Non-Toxic Cleaning SOS :
- 7 Kitchen Cures To Add To Your Medicine Cabinet Now - December 17, 2016
- Non-Toxic Cleaning Secrets For A Total Home Cleansing - December 3, 2016
- Hail To The Oils! The Perfect Essential Oil User’s Guide - November 26, 2016