style=”COLOR: #800517″>Continued from our Retreat & Renew Daily
By Melissa Williams
November is Diabetes Awareness month in the United States and with diabetes growing at an alarming rate, its time to pay attention. We turned to Dr. Andrew Weil for his suggestions on preventing and reversing type 2 diabetes:
- Lose weight. Excess body fat causes the body’s cells to become resistant to insulin.
- Eat smaller meals more frequently to help regulate blood sugar.
- Keep refined starches and sugars to a minimum. Try eating low on the Glycemic Index.
- Eat fish 3 times a week.
- Up your ante of non-starchy veggies, including dark leafy greens and cabbages.
- Dr. Weil suggests eating magnesium-rich foods every day as magnesium can help promote healthy insulin production. Here are the top 10 foods.
- Some also recommend such supplements as chromium, Alpha lipoic acid and Coenzyme Q10. We recommend talking with your doctor before starting any supplement programs.