Recipe courtesy of Savory Experiments
Time: 1 hour
- ½ box of orecchiette pasta
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 bunch of scallions, thinly sliced, white and greens
- 5 medium-large garlic cloves, thinly sliced (double if they are small), plus 2 garlic cloves crushed
- ¾ cup white cooking wine
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup chopped prosciutto (optional)
- 6 ounce bag of fresh spinach
- 7 large Swiss chard leaves, stems and ribs removed, torn into large pieces by hand
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons sour cream (can use light)
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- 20 Large sea scallops
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Sea salt
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a medium sauce pan melt butter. Add scallions and 5 garlic cloves thinly sliced. Sauté for 5 minutes or until contents start to lightly brown. Add white wine and simmer over moderate heat until reduced slightly. Let cool slightly. Pour into small food processor and add 1/3 cup water, salt and pepper. Blend until a pesto consistency. Set aside or refrigerate.
- In a large pot boil well salted water and cook orecchiette until al dente, approximately 10-11 minutes (or according to package). Strain and set aside.
- In a separate small bowl, mix sour cream, heavy cream and cream cheese until fully incorporated. In another small bowl mix corn starch and 1 tablespoon of water. Set aside.
- Rinse scallops and remove the small muscle on the side. Pat dry.
- Heat a large frying pan or cast iron pan with olive oil and 2 crushed garlic cloves over medium-high heat. When oil is hot place all scallops into the pan. Do not stir. Let them cook in the exact same spot for 2-3 minutes covered or until lightly browned. Using a large spoon or ladle, remove the excess liquid from the pan. Scallops have a lot of liquid and if you don’t remove it you will not get the nice brown outside.
- After removing liquid, flip scallops and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes covered. Do not over cook. They get rubbery and dry.
- Wipe out pasta pot with a paper towel, careful not to burn yourself. Heat olive oil and add prosciutto, cook 1 minute. Add Swiss chard and spinach, cook one minute. Stir in pesto mixture and chicken broth. Add cornstarch mixture, stirring well and then cream mixture. Lastly, toss pasta into the pesto and greens.
- Top with Parmesan cheese and scallops. Enjoy!
[wpurp-searchable-recipe]Scallion-Garlic Pesto with Swiss Chard and Scallops – – – [/wpurp-searchable-recipe]