When you choose seasonal apples that are perfect for baking, you don’t need to add sugar. A few ingredients along with the natural juices make the perfect balance of sweet and tart.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 2 medium apples (such as Rome Beauty, Jonathan, Baldwin, Cameo, Cortland, Idared, or Honeycrisp.)
- 1/8 cup dried tart cherries or raisins
- 1/8 cup granola clusters, such as Apple Cinnamon Raw Paleo Granola.
- 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts or sliced almonds, chopped pistachios, or sunflower seeds (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup 100% juice (any variety: apple, pomegranate, grape, etc.)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Core the apples and place them in a shallow baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, dried cherries (or raisins), granola and optional nuts or seeds.
- Spoon mixture into the center of the apples, ensuring there is filling through the whole core.
- Slice a very thin ring, just through the peel, all the way around the apple about midway to help the apple transfer heat and bake optimally.
- Drizzle juice over the centers of the apples and mixture, and let the remaining juice create a small bath in the base of the dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the apples are tender.
- Serve with Greek yogurt for breakfast or a snack. And serve with ice cream, frozen yogurt or honey Greek yogurt for dessert. These apples can be enjoyed warm, room temperature or cold.