Start your pink menu with a pink and green salad. Thinly sliced watermelon makes a bed for rosy baby beets and tangy goat cheese. You’ll love the combination of flavors-sweet, juicy, earthy and creamy.
Makes 6 servings.
- 3 small golden beets
- 3 small red or candy stripe beets
- Six – 1½-inch thick wedges of watermelon
- ½ small fennel bulb, very thinly sliced
- 3 ounces sharp, crumbly goat or feta cheese
- Basil Balsamic Dressing (recipe follows)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Wash the beets, and trim, but do not peel. Set the beets in a small roasting pan and bake until tender.
- Cool the beets, peel, and cut into quarters or slices. Toss with a ¼ cup of the Basil Dressing and set aside to marinate.
- Cut the rind from the watermelon slices and cut the watermelon into 1-inch pieces.
- Top watermelon with beets and scatter the fennel over the salad. Crumble the goat cheese over the beets. Serve more Basil Dressing on the side.
- Variation: a few tiny leaves of tat soi or arugula look pretty scattered over the salad.
Latest posts by Shanon Hoffman (see all)
- Sun-Safe Must-Dos: Treat Your Skin With Respect Inside and Out - February 22, 2017
- The Schumann Resonance: Feeling The Earth’s Healing Vibrations - December 26, 2016