We’re not talking about whether you take hormones; we’re talking about whether what you’re eating is changing your hormones by disrupting them.
Bisphenol A or BPA has been connected to a variety of health problems ranging from cancer to heart disease. But much of the science is showing that it negatively effects our bodies, leading to hormones related issues like breast cancer and possibly birth defects.
However, it isn’t banned in the U.S. In the state of California, BPA is banned in both baby bottles and sippy cups, and just last month a scientific committee voted to put BPA on the Proposition 65 list, a list that includes 800 chemicals that are known to cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm.
But despite all of this negative charge, many companies are still opting to keep BPA in their canned goods
In a study conducted by the Environmental Working Group (EWG), 252 brands of canned food were analyzed to find out which ones do and don’t contain BPA. Of those in the study, 110+ still use BPA in some or all of their products.
Wanna know if what you are using and buying is made with BPA? [Click the image to see larger version.]
Unfortunately, going BPA-free has a problematic side as well. BPS, a common replacement for BPA has been linked to both heart and brain damage. Here are 8 ways to cut down on your BPA exposure:
- Look for alternatives that don’t require cans—or packaging in general. Beans, for instance, should be purchased whole and soaked and cooked fresh.
- Avoid canned sodas.
- Avoid microwaveable frozen dinners.
- Ditch the polycarbonate water bottle; use a reusable stainless instead.
- Do not microwave or reheat your food in plastic.
- Look at your coffee maker. Many coffeemakers have BPA and phthalates in the plastic. Choose a French Press or Pour Over instead.
- Store your leftovers in glass or stainless steel.
- Cook at home more often; if you eat out, choose restaurants that use fresh ingredients.
By Melissa Williams
- Saving Our Coral Reef One Tube of Sunscreen at a Time. - June 28, 2018
- Healing Tonics: 5 Ingredients You Need to Cure All That Ails You. - May 3, 2018
- Is it Addiction? 4 Surprising Culprits Behind Your Gnawing Sugar Cravings. - April 20, 2018