3 DIY Avocado Beauty Recipes Coming Up!
Once a feared fat, avocados are now a staple, as evidenced by the popularity of “avocado toast” not only on Pinterest, but at many restaurants around the world. This is all good news because the fat in avocado is monounsaturated; these types of fats work to keep your heart healthy and also help lower cholesterol. Plus, avocados also contain both fiber and protein, which go pretty far in keeping us fuller for longer. And why wouldn’t you want to eat them when they’re so creamy and delicious? I’m a fan of most foods with a green hue but gosh darn, when I see mashed avo it’s like a love story.
Avocados are good for the body and taste pretty great but did you know they also can turn back time? Not literally, but avocados work wonders when it comes to fighting aging.
Avocados are a powerhouse of vital nutrients. In addition to the healthy fats they contain, avocados are also rich in chlorophyll, which works to reduce inflammation, and contain a hefty amount of water, which helps keep the skin hydrated. Avocado oil is rich is vitamins A, various B vitamins, vitamin D and E, all of which help soften skin and prevent wrinkles, reduce age spots, rejuvenate the skin and boost collagen. And if you’ve ever mashed an avocado then you’ll know it still stays a pretty thick consistency making it great for applying topically onto the skin.
1. Green Tea Avocado Face Mask
Want supple, soft skin like you’ve just had an expensive spa facial? Avocado and green tea are what you need. Honey binds this mask into a spreadable texture while adding extra softness, and lemon will work to banish and fade any blemishes.
- ½ ripe avocado
- 1 tbs raw honey
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 green tea bag or 1 tsp matcha powder
- In a bowl, mash avocado, honey, and lemon juice. Fold in matcha. (For a smooth mask, put everything in the food processor until smooth). Stir together, and your mask is ready.
- If using a green tea bag (instead of matcha powder), steep bag in hot water for 2 minutes. Remove bag. You will be using the tea leaves, not the tea itself, so feel free to sip the nourishing tea while making your mask. Cut open tea bag and let green leaves fall into avocado mixture. Stir together.
- Apply to the whole face, avoiding the eye. Let mask sit until it dries, about 20-30 minutes. Rinse with cool water. Your face should feel revived and fresh!
Find the recipe here.
2. Avocado Anti Wrinkle Eye Treatment
Wrinkles are the epitome of aging. We spend a small fortune trying to hold them back when all we really need is some leftover avocado. The pulp contains vitamins that are known to boost the production of collagen, which is great news for the area around the eyes.
- leftover avocado
- Whenever you use an avocado there’s always a little bit of pulp leftover on the inside of that skin. This pulp has the most concentrated amounts of vitamins, and they are known to increase your body’s own production of collagen, perfect for the wrinkle prone area around your eyes. For this eye treatment, scrape the leftover pulp out of the avocado skin using a spoon. Apply it directly onto your orbital rim (that’s the socket area around your eye). Over the avocado, you can apply cotton pads saturated with cool water. Lay down and relax for 10-15 minutes while this vitamin-rich part of the avocado hydrates your skin, then rinse with warm water to remove.
Get the recipe here.
3. Avocado Anti-Aging Face Cream
If you’re in the market for a new anti-aging night cream, why not give this avocado-based cream a try? You’ll wake up the next morning with silky smooth skin. And if you’re not too keen on using egg in your skincare then there’s always the option to swap the egg for yogurt instead.
- 1 avocado
- 1 eggs/ half cup yogurt
- Mash avocado in a bowl to make a smooth paste.
- Add eggs to a blender (or yogurt).
- Then add the mashed avocado.
- Blend this into a smooth paste.
- Apply this cream twice a week and store it in a container in a dry place.
Find the recipe here.
Like these recipes? Find more avocado beauty recipes here, including a delicious, softening hair mask!
Latest posts by Lora O'Brien (see all)
- 8 Holiday Main Dishes For Those Who Don’t ‘Do’ Turkey. - December 13, 2017
- Natural Remedies: 6 Winter Skin Conditions Solved! - November 20, 2017
- Pulp-tastic: 9 Recipes Made From Perfectly Good Pulp! - November 16, 2017