Diane Lang, a noted psychotherapist, author and Positive Living expert, believes we need to re-examine our definition of mid-life and go from crisis mode to happiness mode.
Most of us tend to think of the negatives when we hear this age term. But before you hit crisis mode, Lang recommends connecting with the beauty of this period of our lives, and the knowledge that this ‘crisis’ is really just a transition – it isn’t an end-point, it’s just the beginning on your path to happiness. How can you make this transition beneficial?
Start off by writing your own life mission statement — what do I stand for? What are my values? What have I accomplished and what do plan to do with the best years of my more developed life? Keep any kind of judgment out of it!
• Is your mission statement promoting your strengths? Are you passionate about it?
• When we hit mid-life it’s important for us to help others. We are ready. We need to feel a sense of purpose in our work.
A sense of making a difference because now we are so very capable. Will my mission statement be my new career direction or a volunteer cause? Either is fine. There is no right or wrong. It’s just making the right choice for you. You can figure this out by asking yourself:
1. Do I love my career currently? Does my career match my values? Do I feel passionate about my career? If you do, then your mission statement might already match up and you want to add some volunteer or charity work to your life. “A lot of my clients will come to me confused about who they are and want to make changes to their career but that is not always the case. Some people have the right career and will figure out they want to add more volunteer work, family time or socialization. By writing your mission statement you can figure this out,” says Lang.
2. If not, then it might be time to thinking about switching from the job you have to a career that you love. There is a huge difference between the two. We spend about 60-80 hours a week working between commute times, time at office and never being off duty due to technology. With all this time and energy being used, you want to make sure it’s doing something you love.
It’s time to love what you do and what you stand for!
Some Articles Related To Happiness :
- Saving Our Coral Reef One Tube of Sunscreen at a Time. - June 28, 2018
- Healing Tonics: 5 Ingredients You Need to Cure All That Ails You. - May 3, 2018
- Is it Addiction? 4 Surprising Culprits Behind Your Gnawing Sugar Cravings. - April 20, 2018