Do you know or highly suspect you might be a perfectionist? There are plenty of good reasons to strive for excellence and have high standards. But if you’re a perfectionist, nothing is ever quite exemplary enough and nothing ever exactly matches your criteria. And if it causes you undue suffering, it’s certainly something to contemplate. Consider the following scenario and reflect on how this might resonate with you.
What could have been a fantastic night turned into a straight-up nightmare of perfectionistic over-planning and turned into an evening devoid of fun. We all have a little bit of a perfectionist living inside of us, but most are able to let go of minor mishaps and tiny mistakes. When perfectionist tendencies rule your world, the emotional heartache has the potential to take a toll in ways you may not realize. And if you are unaware of your desire for perfection, you can’t really do much about it. Here are a few characteristics of a perfectionist personality. You may be surprised at a couple of the traits:
- Procrastination. Perfectionists tend to wait for the perfect moment and the right amount of time so they have the ability to tweak every little thing.
- Being Overly Detail Oriented. Attention to detail is vital, but needing everything to be exactly as you envision it without the ability to identify the big picture is a tell-tale sign that you are a perfectionist. Not possessing the ability to determine which details matter versus those that really don’t.
- Depression. Refusal to ask for help or to be flexible about the way something is done is a common trait of perfectionists. Setting unrealistic goals that lead to disappointment. Beating yourself up for every perceived mistake is something perfectionists do constantly. And never feeling satisfied is something you experience basically every second of the day.
- Sacrificing One’s Health. Skipping sleep, meals, and workouts because you’re working on your goals and that’s more important than self-care.
- Very High Standards. There’s a thin line between aiming for excellence and insisting on perfection. The inability or unwillingness to identify the distinction is a hallmark quality of perfectionists.
By Lara Falberg
- A Growing Obsession For Clean Eating Is Taking New Dangerous Heights. - February 3, 2018
- Chunkie Dunkies + Dina’s Gourmet: The Keto Diet Gold Duo. - January 25, 2018
- Thinking AboutAdult Braces? Everything You Need to Know Before Deciding. - December 15, 2017