Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 29 minutes
Yield: 1 large loaf or 3 – 4 small loaves
- 3 mashed ripe bananas (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 3 Tablespoons golden rum
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/4 cup flaxseed meal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Stir in: 1/2 – 1 large ripe mango, peeled, pitted and chopped
For the top:
- about 1/4 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- about 2 Tablespoons raw (turbinado) sugar
- Preheat the oven to 325 F. Spray a 9×5 inch loaf pan (or several small ones) with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, mash the banana then stir in the rest of the wet ingredients until everything is mixed well.
- Sprinkle the dry ingredients on top of the banana mixture, then stir just until well mixed. Fold in the chopped mango.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan(s), sprinkle with coconut and raw sugar, then bake for 1 hour 15 minutes for a large loaf pan or about 25 – 35 minutes for small ones or until a wooden pick inserted in the center of the largest loaf comes out clean.
The coconut on top will be light brown for a smaller loaf, but it will get darker and crunchier for larger loaves due to extended baking time. You may want to cover a big loaf with foil part of the time to keep the coconut on top from getting TOO dark … or stir the coconut into the batter instead of putting it on top.
If you want to make the bread a little less moist, use 1/2 of a mango instead of a whole one.
Recipe courtesy of Sumptuous Spoonfuls
Latest posts by Shanon Hoffman (see all)
- Sun-Safe Must-Dos: Treat Your Skin With Respect Inside and Out - February 22, 2017
- The Schumann Resonance: Feeling The Earth’s Healing Vibrations - December 26, 2016