We love all of the research lately demonstrating the connection between our gut and our overall health.
When it comes to gut health we often turn to Dr. Frank Lipman, for his rather ‘frank’ advice on nutrition and health. And according to Lipman, when you fix your gut health, not only will you evade disease and sicknesses, your skin will surely reap the benefits too!
First things first, to really feel the glow, you need to clean out the bad. You’ve been hearing this in a variety of forms, but the number one thing you can do is cut out sugars and other inflammatory foods.
Lipman suggests eliminating gluten and dairy as well, and while this might be true for some, it may not be for others. The best you can do is eliminate the two and see how you feel and look.
Now what should you add to your plate once you cut out the sugar, dairy and gluten?
- Fermented foods! This ancient method of preservation is fabulous for your gut. Good choices include sauerkraut, kimchi and kombucha. We like this homemade kimchi recipe, which tastes delicious on nearly anything! How to make kimchi.
- More fat!! Healthy fats from avocado, nut, grass fed meat, and wild salmon helps nourish the skin. Other great choices are flax and chia seeds. My personal favorite morning recipe has healthy fats, plus delicious flavor and staying power.
- According to Lipman, we need to consume foods rich in collagen if we want a glowing complexion. Bone broth is rich in collagen and has been on the forefront of a variety of diets over the last few years. In fact, there is an entire book about the bone broth diet. (As a vegetarian, this one is harder for me to get behind.) Other foods that help repair your existing collagen, include fish, red vegetables, dark green vegetables, garlic, berries and white tea.
- Ooh, the easy one! Try adding more water to your day and just notice the difference. Our new favorite combination was actually inspired by the water available at Crate & Barrel of all places: to a gallon of water add: chopped strawberries, orange slices, mint leaves, and cucumber. Add grapefruit as well. Enjoy!
- Saving Our Coral Reef One Tube of Sunscreen at a Time. - June 28, 2018
- Healing Tonics: 5 Ingredients You Need to Cure All That Ails You. - May 3, 2018
- Is it Addiction? 4 Surprising Culprits Behind Your Gnawing Sugar Cravings. - April 20, 2018