Dr. Mercola is a leading D.O. and frequently tours the country giving interviews and advice on a myriad of health issues and afflictions. He believes firmly that much of our health problems in this country could be prevented with dietary and lifestyle changes. Here are his top 10 tips for preventing breast cancer:
1. Get plenty of natural vitamin A. It’s best to obtain it from vitamin A rich foods, rather than a supplement. Your best sources are organic egg yolks, raw butter, raw whole milk, and beef or chicken liver.
2. Beware the grill. Charred meat increases breast cancer risk.
3. Soy. The soy debate continues. According to Dr. Mercola, unfermented soy products cause the greatest problems as they are high in plant estrogens, which may increase the likelihood of mutations and cancerous cells.
4. Get plenty of high quality animal-based omega-3 fats, such as krill oil. Dr. Mercola believes that low omega-3 levels can increase one’s chances of cancer.
5. Supplement with curcumin. Found in turmeric (and responsible for turmeric’s bright hue), curcumin may help prevent breast cancer metastasis.
6. Reduce your alcohol intake to a maximum of one drink per day, or abstain altogether.
7. Breastfeed exclusively for up to six months. Research shows this may reduce your breast cancer risk.
8. Avoid wearing underwire bras. Mercola believes that the metal underwire bras increase your breast cancer risk.
9. Avoid electromagnetic fields as much as possible. To read more about EMFs, read this interview with health specialist, Mary Cordaro. EMF Interview
10. Avoid BPA, phthalates and other xenoestrogens. These are estrogen-like compounds that have been linked to increased breast cancer risk.
11. Lymphatic breast massage can help enhance your body’s natural ability to eliminate cancerous toxins.
12. Avoid sugar, especially fructose. Dr. Mercola shares research that demonstrates that all forms of sugar are detrimental to health in general and promote cancer. He believes that fructose, however, is clearly one of the most harmful and should be avoided as much as possible.