We care about the ingredients in our products and how they sustain our wellness. We rely on time-tested formulas that lift the senses and the spirit. From beguiling treasures collected from all corners of the globe to the; purest ingredients sourced directly from nature, Pura Botanica delivers simple joy in unexpected ways. In a world rich with secrets, we seek to share the most transcendent of finds and to provide a ‘Passport to Bliss’.” – Founder and President Christy Booth
First things first, let’s meet the Master Bliss Mixers behind the Pura Botanica team as they get Up-Close & Personal With Abby Mason!
Q. Pura Botanica launched in the spring of 2009. How has the beauty industry changed since that time?
- The beauty industry in the US has changed for the better. The consumer has education herself/himself regarding potential harmful ingredients. The industry has slowly complied to healthier demands, such as paraben-free and gluten-free formulas.
Q. I love the name Pura Botanica. How did the name for your brand come about?
- My family is very blessed to be able to travel the world. While visiting Costa Rica, fell in love with their motto, ‘Pura Vita’ meaning the ‘Good Life’. Their overall outlook is living a balanced, healthy lifestyle.
Q. What does the name mean to you?
- Pura Botanica translates to Pura Botanicals; authentic essential oils and ingredients, free of synthetic fragrances and dyes.
Q. You said “I am always amazed by the spectrum of ingredients and preparations that are indigenous to cultures around the world – and by the global ‘consciousness’ of sourcing close to the earth. Pura Botanica was created to replicate this…. to bring the best of organic and sustainably harvested ingredients together in uniquely luxurious products that allow us to transcend the every day for a moment and experience bliss”. I absolutely, love this! It’s so beautifully said. Could you tell me about the time when you decided to develop and launch a company that would provide natural, organic and green products (what was your inspiration and motivation)?
- My story is not unheard of and actually quite popular these days. My family is my ‘everything’. After discovery that my two sons health issues were directly related to food and body care products. I became a self- educated consumer and motivated in making a difference. I was disappointed in the standards of our own American made products. The standards in Europe, Australia, New Zealand, and Costa Rica are far superior then ours. Seven years ago was the beginning of Pura Botanica’s journey.
Q. Your company mission is “Pura Botanica is inspired by the beauty of the natural world. We have taken this beauty, peace, pleasure, and intrigue and turned it into a line of little luxuries. Our passions run deep. We care about the ingredients in our products and how they sustain our wellness. We rely on time-tested formulas that lift the senses and the spirit. From beguiling treasures collected from all corners of the globe to the purest ingredients sourced directly from nature, Pura Botanica delivers simple joy in unexpected ways. In a world rich with secrets, we seek to share the most transcendent of finds and to provide a passport to bliss”. Can you elaborate a bit more on this and what it means to you?
- Each of Pura Botanica’s products are fragranced with pure essential oils sourced from around the world. Many products key ingredients were discovered while on family trips, such as the Marula Nut oil from South Africa, our hair conditioner contains this amazing oil. Animals and natives of the land know firsthand the many benefits of the Marula Tree. It is important to take time for ourselves and breathe. Light a candle, soak in a warm bath with mineralizing salts and exhale. We need appreciate the little things in everyday life and shine.
Q. Your ingredients are pure, organic and natural. “Every product is made without sulfates, parabens, synthetic perfumes or fragrances or phthalates”. The Natural Products Association has certified a number of your products “based on that organizations ingredient, safety, responsibility, and sustainability standards”. You also provide travel accessories, which are made cruelty-free. What do you do with your packaging so that it is eco friendly?
- All packaging is either made from recycled materials, such as recycled glass candle jars, or are recyclable , we use vegetable dyes for printing most packaging. Very proud to say our packaging is made in the USA, including our bottles and caps for the hair care line.
Q How do you embrace sustainability in your company?
- We recycle, use our own cups for beverages, have energy efficient lighting with motion detectors, and do our best to be paperless (not an easy goal).
Q. What makes your brand unique in the arena of green beauty and where do you think it is headed?
- Our products are certified all-natural by natural Products Association. The standards for certification is much higher than those of certified organic products. The preservatives in most of the organic formulas can be toxic, even at a low percentage. The NPA does not allow such ingredients, being in business for over 75 years and lobbying the government to hold the US cosmetic industry accountable is why we choose this prestigious certificate. We are reformulating our products to be Certified Organic and All-Natural, Vegan and Gluten Free. Healthy luxuries for everyone.
Q. Are there any special/funny stories that you would like to share behind your brand?
- Some products may have longitude and latitude on the packaging, the key note in the fragrance (organic essential oil) is sourced from that location. Wink.
Q What is your favorite healthy ingredient, and why do you love it?
- Aloe Vera is king in my book. Being a South California native and living in South Florida for the past 22 years, we are enjoying the sun and water. Both this can be drying on your skin and hair. Our hair and body care line, Freshly Minted and Lend A Hand Crème Smoother, are citified organic aloe Vera based. The beneficial properties are anti-aging, antibacterial and moisturizing. What products feature it? See Above
Q. Pura Botanica is based in Lighthouse Point, Florida. Can you tell me a little bit more about your headquarters, your team and your company culture?
- Well, we’ve actually moved to a bigger location with a warehouse in Margate, FL. We are mainly made up of myself, Barbara D’Agosta (Reception & Bookkeeping) and Nick Messina (Marketing Director). We have another four or five employees who rotate in for manufacturing, blend creation and other tasks here at Pura.
Q. How would you describe your ideal customer?
- Someone who appreciates/understands the idea of relaxing and taking time for themselves. These same people also realize the value and benefits of the all-natural ingredients that we use, and pay a bit extra for them. We are a luxury brand, mainly because we go out of our way to get the best ingredients for our products.
Q. Do you have any new products or launches that we can expect to see in the near future?
- We have reworked our candles and they will now be coming in Tins! A bit easier and more feasible than the glass. We also have newer scents such as Lavender and Rose among others we hadn’t previously offered. We also have reworked our shampoo/conditioner formula and have taken the beeswax out of our hand cream. **Be undetailed when teasing this info if you do**
Q. I would love to know who inspires you and why?
- The main reason for creating this brand was my kids. My son’s is allergic to some of the ingredients in common bath products and I ended up doing research on the market. I came to find out how unhealthy many common bath products are for your skin, and it became my mission to create products that were from the finest ingredients and were only beneficial to your body. Pura Botanica was born from that.
Q. Do you have a company and/or personal mantra?
- Mainly, “Passport to Bliss” & “Everyday Luxuries for Bath & Body”
Q. What is your favorite product in your line?
- Our Botanic Bath Infusions, 3-in-1 bath treatment. My favorite way to relaxing is soaking in the warm water with a candle lit. Our product line started with this product. because the very foundation of Pura Botanica is taking time for yourself to rejuvenate and recharge,
Q. What is your favorite way to relax?
- Bath soaks and cruising our waterways in Florida and the Bahamian Islands.
Q. What are your goals for your company in the future?
- All products to be Vegan, Glutten Free, Certified Organic and All-Natural by NPA.
Q. How do you find balance while juggling life’s needs and work’s responsibilities?
- Listen to your heart and body. Take one day at a time, one step at a time. My grandmother once asked me, “How do you eat an elephant?” (figure of speach of course) “one bite at a time.”
Q. What is your favorite edible ingredient to both eat and use on your skin?
- Aloe Vera juice for both. Key to healthy skin.
Q. If you could go back in time and give your younger self any advice, what would it be?
- Use sunscreen, hydrate, and don’t take life too serious. YOLO, you only live once.
Q. Where is your favorite travel destination? Why is it special to you?
- Italy, for the fresh food, wine, and lifestyle. They do not live for work, they live for friends and family.
Q. What are two to three things you feel are important to share with your customers?
- Take care of yourself first, then you will have more positive energy to be there for your loved ones, a better you.
- Do not compromise or settle. You are worth it.
- YOLO, you only live once. Make it count.
- Complexions Spa LEEDS The Way: Pampering With A Purpose - December 15, 2016
- Holiday Stress Prep 101 + Take Your ‘Character Strength’ Quiz - December 5, 2016
- Tapping Into A New, Powerful Breed Of Alkaline Water - November 6, 2016