It’s hard to stay on top of the latest health advice. Whether you’re on the kale bandwagon, or have moved on to the next health fad (??), some truths seem so, well, evident. That is, until you look at the ‘fine print’ so to speak.
According to Dr. Andrew Weil the following two health myths or “habits” may actually be sabotaging or at least may have no effect on your overall health.
Health Myth #1
1. Stay out of the sun. As we stated above, our fear of the sun has led to a vitamin D deficiency across the country. Vitamin D deficiency is also related to cancer as well as diabetes, MS, and high blood pressure. While we do want to avoid the harmful UV rays (typically found at the peak of the afternoon), we do need healthy amounts of vitamin D. Try to spend 10 minutes outside to get a bit of sun each day, and talk to your doctor to see if supplemental vitamin D makes sense for you.
Health Myth #2
2. We talked about the heart disease myth in a recent tip, which put the brakes on our fear of cholesterol. But Dr. Andrew Weil also wants to address our fear of saturated fat (I’m still afraid, are you?). He points to research released in 2010 that shows “no significant evidence” that dietary saturated fat is associated with increased heart disease risk. In fact, he believes that other causes of inflammation from our diet, namely sugar, flour, and oxidized oils, are more likely to be elevating the heart disease epidemic we see in this country.
So what are we to do? Our thoughts are that if it isn’t nature-made it probably isn’t easily absorbed. If it has to be heavily processed to be consumed, it probably will take a toll on your body in some fashion. Eat whole foods!
Some Articles Related To Health Myths :
With her love of health and writing, Melissa has written for such publications as Shape, Natural Solutions, Yoga Journal, Self and Pilates Style, and has created recipes and food-oriented stories for such publications as Delicious Living and Cooking Light.
Latest posts by Melissa, Editorial Director (see all)
- Saving Our Coral Reef One Tube of Sunscreen at a Time. - June 28, 2018
- Healing Tonics: 5 Ingredients You Need to Cure All That Ails You. - May 3, 2018
- Is it Addiction? 4 Surprising Culprits Behind Your Gnawing Sugar Cravings. - April 20, 2018